Disclosure: Any post may contain links to my shop or affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission from any purchase you make. All opinions about products I use are my own. Read the full disclosure HERE.
This Spring I decided to add coral to my homes color palette, so when I wanted to update my little dish cabinet in my dining area, coral seemed like the fun choice. Though definitely fun, it was a little scary to add such a bold color, but now that I’ve gone bold, I would never go back!
I bought this cabinet over three years ago. It was a very inexpensive, put-together-yourself cabinet and I viewed it as a place holder for a beautiful $1200 dish cabinet that I wanted. Finally I decided to make my temporary cabinet into something I loved even more than the expensive one.
My friend had just refinished a few pieces in her house with homemade chalk paint, so she gave me the courage to try homemade chalk paint. Well, she actually took me to the store and told me what supplies to buy – so she did more than give me courage! My box of plaster of paris is so big, I better think of some more projects after this!
Homemade Chalk Paint “Recipe”
The ratio of paint (regular flat paint) to water to plaster of paris is 3:2:1, or in other words –
- 1 cup paint
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup plaster of paris powder
Mix the water and powder together first. I mixed in a disposable container with a lid so that I could save it in between coats and then throw it away at the end of the project. Once the water and powder are mixed well together, mix in the paint.
The consistency is awesome!!
This was the cabinet before I did anything.
I put down plastic right in the dining room so I didn’t have to move the cabinet very far.
I wiped down the cabinet, mixed the paint, and then just started painting. I gave everything a few coats. The consistency is like butter!
I let it dry overnight and then I gave it a light sanding. The sanding was for a shabby chic effect. I focused on scuffing the corners and places the cabinet would wear naturally over years.
Next I wanted to add wrapping paper to the back of the cabinet. I found a pretty white/silver damask wrapping paper. I used the same polyurethane I used to seal the cabinet, to attach the wrapping paper. I “painted” the pack of the cabinet with the lowest sheen of polyurethane that I could find, then smoothed on the wrapping paper that was cut to fit. Then I painted more polyurethane on top of the wrapping paper.
After that, I painted polyurethane on the entire cabinet – anywhere I had painted with chalk paint. I chose polyurethane instead of wax so that I could just do it once.
When the poly coat had dried, I added some fun new knobs/ pulls (you call those different things depending where you live!).
I just love love love how the cabinet turned out. It changed the entire feel of the room!