I think I like the weirdest, eclectic mix of shows and podcasts … until I talk to my friends and realize other people like the same kind of weird mix. One day I’m binging on true crime podcasts or Netflix documentaries, then the next day I’m binging on comedian stand-up specials. My taste in books is the same kind of crazy … I like a lot of stuff, and sometimes I just want a good laugh.
I’ve made a list of books by comedians that I enjoyed. So, if you’re in the need-a-laugh kind of mood, here are some possibilities. But be warned, not all comedians are funny when talking about their lives, instead they talk about a life lesson they learned along the way. Then again, some of them are hilarious talking about their lives. Sometimes it’s a little bit of both. I like it all –
- A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World by David Spade
- Bossy Pants by Tina Fey
- Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
- Let’s Pretend This Never Happened (A Mostly True Memoir) by Jenny Lawson
- I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons by Kevin Hart
- I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short
- I’m Fine … And Other Lies by Whitney Cummings
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
- Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart
- Seriously. I’m Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
*I sprinkled in some older books for good measure, because if you haven’t read Bossypants yet, definitely start there.
Some of these books I’ve read, and some I’ve listened to on Audible. Read … listen … these days it is all the same to me. Actually, listening may be better some days. If I can “read” a book while I fold towels, pick up kids from school, and do dishes, that is multitasking I enjoy. Have you tried Audible yet? I’m on the 2 books per month subscription (have been for years), but sometimes I buy extra credits because I’m in a book-binging mood. You can start with a FREE trial and decide from there what works best for you. Try it!
I’ve also gifted a subscription to my dad for Father’s Day one year – he still enjoys it.
And I’ll just say, I may not agree with all comedians on all of life’s issues, but if they make me laugh, they make me laugh. And I really like laughing.
From my home to yours,